Green Newton School Connections is advocating for more Climate Education in Newton schools. Please join us as we work to strengthen climate literacy and justice for our students.
Encourage the school district to include more climate education in schools in all grade levels, from K-12, and across disciplines.
What we have done
- Supported a petition started at Change.org by Newton high school students in January 2020: “Climate Change Education in Newton Schools“
- Members of our group made public comments at School Committee meetings (01/10 and 02/13) about the importance of Climate Education – here’s what a student said and what a parent said.
- Sent a letter to the School Committee asking for their support and offering to collaborate.
- Drafted a list of opportunities within the existing K-12 Newton Public Schools curriculum for educators to include information related to climate change.
- Met with K-8 Curriculum Coordinator
- Talked to elementary, middle and high school teachers
- Researched what other school districts have done
- Gathered resources
- Survey about what is already being done throughout the district
- Invite more educators to be part of this initiative
- Meet with more Curriculum Coordinators
- Apply for a Newton Schools Foundation grant for professional development
- Advocate to have Climate Education as a district-wide priority
- Explore ways to include Climate Education programs through CAS