From the Bigelow PTO, June 13, 2020 –
The Bigelow PTO invites you to think about school supplies in a sustainable way.
The end of the year is a great opportunity to embrace our sustainable values with our children and show them how they can personally take climate action. Going together with the kids through their books, notes and school materials can be a valuable experience – in economic and environmental terms – and help reducing waste at the end of the school year by practicing the three R’s – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
There’s a reason reduce & reuse come before recycle – not just because it sounds good, but it’s the order in which we should approach sustainability. Here are some tips to use with your child when cleaning out their school supplies:
- Empty backpacks, pencil cases, binders, folders.
- Clean everything (a swipe of rubbing alcohol can remove marker and make everything looks like new).
- Repair or patch what you can.
- Organize pens, pencils, markers, scissors, calculators, etc.
- Take out the used pages of notebooks and evaluate what can be reused in school or at home.
You will note that you can really reduce the purchase of new supplies because a lot can be reused next year. And we can all celebrate how much energy, water, resources and money we will have saved in our community!
Check out more resources: