Green Newton Student Group presents Greening the Holidays, a virtual public meeting for all ages on how to celebrate a sustainable holiday season.
Newton student leaders are offering this unique opportunity for us to make plans to celebrate a more sustainable holiday season. The program will include great gift ideas, trivia questions and easy steps to make an environmental difference. Presentation topics are listed below.
Greening the Holidays
Sunday, December 6, from 4-5pm
Please register in advance HERE
- Food & Waste, with Kaleigh Yee (NSHS ’19) and Hailey Strickler (Beaver Country Day ‘22) How does food and waste play into the culture of a holiday? How can we make more sustainable choices while maintaining tradition?
- Fashion, with Ahona Dam (NSHS ’23) and Mia Santangelo (NNHS ‘22) What is fast fashion? How can we consciously avoid supporting it during the holidays?
- Transportation, with Ava Freeman (NSHS ’22) During a ‘normal’ holiday season, how can we realistically prioritize conscious transportation choices?
- Gift Giving, with Windley Knowlton (NSHS ‘18) What makes a gift special? What are some meaningful, environmentally conscious gift ideas?
- Advocacy, with Coral Lin (NNHS, ‘21) Why is advocacy important to prioritize during the holidays?
- Taking Action!, with Clara Dutton (NSHS ‘21) How energy efficiency steps can be considered a gift?
- The 4C Tree Project, introduced by Elizabeth Sockwell (NSHS ‘16) and Jojo Parks (BC ‘24) What is the ‘Capture Carbon Commemorate COVID-19’ project all about? How can one incorporate volunteering experience into a gift?
With gratitude to Esther Zhang (NNHS ’22) for designing the graphic for this Green Newton event!