We are a forum for parents, students, educators – with representatives from 11 Newton schools – and the broader Newton community interested in promoting sustainability in the classrooms and beyond. The group offers a setting for sharing experiences and ideas, as well as support in facing challenges in implementing green initiatives at their schools and in the Newton Public District.
Some of our initiatives include:
- Partnering with NPS in the School Sustainability Working Group (SSWG)
- Sharing of past and current sustainability efforts at individual schools
- Helping schools to set up Green Teams
- Developing and sharing recycling signage for schools, in partnership with Newton Sustainable Materials Management division
- Advocating for the hiring of a sustainability coordinator at NPS: a dedicated staff person to plan and implement consistent waste management throughout the school district
- Hosting discussions with stakeholders from the city government and elected officials
- Evaluating the possibility of implementing a Food Recovery Program in Newton school cafeterias
- Supporting renewable energy in schools, including solar panels
- Supporting sustainable and healthy transportation in the district, including: walking, biking and increasing bus ridership; no idling around schools; electric school buses
- Advocating for Climate Education from K-12
Parents, students, educators, and Newton citizens and friends, all are invited to be part of our group. Just come to one of our meetings or events, or contact us at [email protected] for more information.
Together we are building a more sustainable school community in Newton.
About this website
|Joana Canedo, Chair of GN School Connections, manages the School Connections website and edits its newsletter. Joana is a Bigelow and Newton North parent. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].|
Periodic updates about our activities, featuring what the group is working on, related news and events, plus resources and green tips to help you get involved in our work to build a healthier, more sustainable future for Newton schools.
Notes from our past meetings.