We are a forum for parents, students, educators – with representatives from 10 schools – and the broader Newton community interested in promoting sustainability in the classrooms and beyond. The group offers a setting for sharing experiences and ideas, as well as support in facing challenges in implementing green initiatives at their schools and in the Newton Public District.
Some of our initiatives include:
- Sharing of past and current efforts at individual schools
- Developing and sharing recycling signage for schools, in partnership with Newton Sustainable Materials Management department.
- Advocating for the hiring of a dedicated staff person to plan and implement consistent recycling collection throughout the school district.
- Hosting discussions with stakeholders from the city government, committees, and elected officials.
- A survey about waste management in all of Newton public schools, in partnership with Newton Sustainable Materials Management department.
- Evaluating the possibility of implementing a Food Recovery Program in Newton school cafeterias.
- Supporting renewable energy in schools, including solar panels.
- Advocating for the city’s approval to set up textile recycling collection containers outside of school buildings.
Parents, students, educators, and Newton citizens and friends, all are invited to be part of our group. Just come to one of our meetings or events, or contact us at [email protected] for more information.
Together we are building a more sustainable school community in Newton.