The City of Newton is undertaking an educational cart-top sticker campaign in 2021. Large stickers will be applied on all recycling carts in our ongoing effort to reduce recycling contamination. The stickers will inform residents of what is acceptable in the green carts.
Since we’re going to be at the curb, we’ll also be gathering some data. Data collection on trash and recycling carts throughout the city is needed to best understand how these services are functioning and can be improved, with an emphasis on waste reduction.
Unfortunately, at this time, we are unable to hire part time staff to perform the curbside data gathering and adhere stickers. Thus, in order to accomplish this, we are seeking volunteers to assist with this effort.
Details about the project:
- Volunteers will walk neighborhood routes (assigned), adhere stickers to recycling carts, lift cart lids and document observations. This is not an enforcement project.
- The soonest the stickering project will start is mid-June and will run through at least September. The hours/days we need volunteers for are from 7am – 10am Monday through Friday. We are looking for volunteers who can commit to walking a minimum of one route per week. We’re looking for as many volunteers as we can get, with the ultimate goal of stickering every recycling cart in Newton.
- Volunteers will use a smartphone to track the observational data using an app (one can be provided if needed)
- If it is raining, the routes that day are cancelled.
The benefits of volunteering for this project include:
- Assist in spreading recycling education to reduce recycling contamination
- Get exercise and spend time outside by walking neighborhood routes
- Engage with your community in a safe, physically distanced way
- Gather information that will, in part, inform future decisions regarding Newton’s waste and recycling collection services