In honor of Green Newton’s 30th Anniversary, we invite all high school students who live in Newton to write essays to voice their concerns and inspire others to make a difference by suggesting solutions that can benefit our environment.
The essay topic may be chosen from the list below or it can be an environmental topic of your choice. Students can write how they and others they know are learning to cope with the current challenges we face, while taking positive steps at home and in our community to conserve energy and protect our natural resources.
Selected essays (300 words max) will be published on the Green Newton website, in our e-news bulletins, and on the GN School Connections website. Green Newton reviewers will determine on a weekly basis how many essays will be selected for publication.
There will be a raffle drawing on a date yet to be determined, in which all students who submit essays will be eligible to receive one of two $50 gift certificate prizes to use at a local shop or restaurant of their choice.
How to submit the essay? Send it by email by April 27 to [email protected]. Please include a title, your full name, school and grade.
For more information, please email us at [email protected]
(Information updated on March 20, 2020)
SUGGESTED ESSAY TOPICS
- How can an education in climate science impact your future career possibilities?
- Write about the benefits of one of the goals in Newton’s Climate Action Plan.
- Create testimony is support of a climate-related bill that is being considered in the Massachusetts Legislature. (Resources for legislative priority lists: Mass Power Forward, Mothers Out Front, 350, Our Climate, Sunrise, Conservation Law Foundation, Clean Water Action, MassPIRG, MCAN)
- Describe how the Sunrise Movement or Greta Thunberg has inspired you to get involved in Climate Action.
- Write a review of a movie/book by Bill McKibben, Naomi Klein, Al Gore or Rachel Carson and describe how it inspires you.
- What are the most important steps for Newton residents to become more sustainable in their commutes to school, work and other locations?
- What are the benefits of transitioning from fossil fuels to renewable energy, and is Massachusetts making progress in this transition?
- How does climate change impact lower economic communities?
- What are green building principles and how can they benefit proposed building projects in Newton?
- What is pump technology and how is it being used in Newton’s homes?