March 20 UPDATE: Instead of a competition, we are inviting students to write and be published on our websites. More on the update HERE.
Green Newton invites all Newton high school students to enter our 30th Anniversary Celebration Essay
Competition “Students Take Climate Action”.
What is the
competition? We are asking high school students to write an essay of up to 300 words related to student climate action in Newton or in the world. Suggested topics below. Students may also submit videos of up to 2 minutes that pertain to any of the topics.
Who can enter? The competition is open to any Newton (MA) high school student in grades 9-12. Students can write individually or in teams of two.
is the competition? Entries should be submitted from February 24 through April 27, 2020. The chosen essays will be announced by May 18, 2020 What is the award? Two essays will be chosen to be read by students at our 30th Anniversary Celebration event at Lasell University on June 9. The essays will be published in the Green Newton and Green Newton School Connections websites and distributed to our members.
Is there a prize?
YES! Winners will receive a $50 gift certificate each to use at a local shop or restaurant of their choice. Update: There will be a raffle drawing, in which all students who submit essays will be eligible to receive one of two $50 gift certificate prizes to use at a local shop or restaurant of their choice.
How to submit the essay? Send it by email by April 27 to [email protected] . Please include a title, your full name, school and grade.
For more information, please email us at [email protected]
Suggested essay topics
- How can an education in climate science impact your future career possibilities?
- Write about the benefits of one of the goals in Newton’s Climate Action Plan.
- Create testimony is support of a climate-related bill that is being considered in the Massachusetts Legislature. (Resources for legislative priority lists: Mass Power Forward, Mothers Out Front, 350, Our Climate, Sunrise, Conservation Law Foundation, Clean Water Action, MassPIRG, MCAN)
- Describe how the Sunrise Movement or Greta Thunberg has inspired you to get involved in Climate Action.
- Write a review of a movie/book by Bill McKibben, Naomi Klein, Al Gore or Rachel Carson and describe how it inspires you.
- What are the most important steps for Newton residents to become more sustainable in their commutes to school, work and other locations?
- What are the benefits of transitioning from fossil fuels to renewable energy, and is Massachusetts making progress in this transition?
- How does climate change impact lower economic communities?
- What are green building principles and how can they benefit proposed building projects in Newton?
- What is pump technology and how is it being used in Newton’s homes?