Newton Public Schools have installed a School Sustainability Working Group (SSWG), which seeks to promote and increase sustainable practices within the Newton Public Schools. Partnering with Green Newton School Connections, the SSWG will work to improve sustainable practices in the areas of transportation, energy, recycling, and food services.
The School Sustainability Working Group includes the representation from NPS administration, facilities, educators, school committee members, Whitsons (food service partner), City of Newton Department of Public Works and Department of Sustainability.
Green Newton School Connections initiative provides an opportunity for families to collaborate with the district in bringing sustainable practices and environmental education directly into the Newton Public Schools.
So far, SSWG has worked on:
- Initiate the MassDEP School Recycling Assistance grant application, which was filed in June 2019.
- Review goals/objectives of SSWG and plan communication of its formation to School Committee and community. In October, a page dedicated to Sustainability was created in the NPS website.
- Discuss implementation plan for a school textile collection program. Ongoing.
The groups goals for 2020 are:
- Promote recycling efforts at individual Newton schools
- Identify feasible methods for reduce single-use plastics, especially at school cafeterias
- Coordinate with Food Service Advisory Group (FSAG) on actionable waste reduction goals
- Promote more active and sustainable transportation to school
- Support sustainable use and sourcing of energy, including solar panels
More at NPS > Families > Buildings & Operations > Sustainability
For a full, detailed description of the School Sustainability Working Group, please download this document: SSWG Purpose, Structure, Objectives, and Timeline.