Original post from Zervas Walks –
Zervas is celebrating international walk to school day on Friday, October 4.
GETTING TO SCHOOL
WALK – Walking is the best way to get to school! Kids love to walk, especially with friends, and it gives them time to wake-up, socialize and expend a little energy so they arrive at school ready to learn. Walking home is a great way to wind down. We encourage all families to walk whenever possible. Zervas is designed as a walkable school.
BIKE – Biking is another great way to get to school! Children in grades K through 3 should bike with an adult. There are bike racks by the front door of the school and at the back playground. The Newton Police will host bike safety training for Zervas 5th graders again this year.
BUS – School buses help reduce traffic! If you live more than a mile from school you may be eligible for bus service. Go to the Newton Public Schools transportation website for more information and Zervas bus schedules.
CAR – Parking is extremely limited. Drivers must use the Blue Zone (a “live” drop-off/pick-up zone) or park legally on the street. If you choose to drive, please read this guide and review the map carefully.
SCHOOL ZONE SAFETY
- Slow down, hang up, and be patient!
- Kids must always use the crosswalk even with an adult!
- Never drop off or pick up from a traffic lane or a No Parking or No Standing area – only from the Blue Zone or a legal parking space. There are no parking spaces in front of the Blue Zone.
- Beethoven Ave is Do Not Enter at drop-off and pick-up headed north. Stay on the east side of the street to allow for emergency vehicles.
- No turning in driveways — kids are running down the sidewalk that you are crossing!
- If the Blue Zone is full you cannot wait for spaces to open – it creates dangerous gridlock. Either circle the block or park legally.
- Don’t back up to exit the Blue Zone – a child might step off the curb behind you!
- Park legally. Observe all signs.
- Do not enter the school bus loop or staff parking lot on Beacon St.
- Never block (or park within 5ft. of, or park in) a private driveway.
- Never pass a school bus with flashing red lights! It’s the law.