Schools in Massachussets may register their Green Team with MassDEP. At School Connections, we encourage the registration.
THE GREEN TEAM is an environmental club for Massachusetts students sponsored by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy & Environmental Affairs and Department of Environmental Protection. The goal of the interactive educational program is to “empower students and teachers to help the environment through waste reduction, recycling, composting, energy conservation and pollution prevention.”
Why register your Green Team?
- GREEN TEAM participants receive educational tools, such as a classroom poster, lesson plans, recycling tips and suggested activities.
- Registered schools may request free equipment, such as:
- Recycling bins, wheeled carts, compost bins, and worms for worm bins.
- Idling Reduction Signs and Materials
- If awarded with a MassDEP School Recycling Grant Newton applied for in June 2019, all schools will have to have a registered team.
- Green Teams maybe eligible to receive recognitions and prizes.
- GREEN TEAM lessons and activities align with the Massachusetts Department of Education curriculum frameworks for Math, ELA, and Science and Technology.
- It also promotes Food Waste Reduction at Schools
How to register?
- Submit your completed GREEN TEAM registration form by fax, mail or on-line. (Download brochure)
- A GREEN TEAM kit will be mailed to you. The kit contains a program guide, poster, GREEN TEAM achievement stickers, lesson plans and other resources.
- Please, let School Connections know you have registered! Thank you.
In 2018-2019, the following Newton Schools were registered: Zervas , Mason Rice, Underwood, Pierce and Newton North. Please note that membership needs to be renewed annually.